Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dawn Marie crosses the finish line!

On Sunday while many members of Dawn Marie's family gathered in Edmonton the talk was all about her -  we knew DM was in the midst of  her first triathlon and we were so anxious to hear from her.  Darcy shared some knowledge about triathlons that I did not know. For example, no one (NO ONE) could help her en route.  If anyone helped DM with her bike, handed her a drink or was thought to be helping her in any way she would be out of the race.  Even a high-five was out of the question until she crossed the finish line.

DM crossed the finish line in one hour and 43 minutes - she would have been happy with anything under two hours.   She placed third in her age group ( 40 - 49 ) and received a medal.  In an e mail DM shared a bit more with me.  "I got nervous in the pool and couldn't pace myself.  My swim time was my personal best by two minutes.  I didn't push the bike because I wanted to save my knees for the run.  I was nervous about the run and ended up enjoying it the most.  I asked a volunteer for an imaginary high five near the end of the run because I was feeling so good.  The whole day Sunday was fun.  It was nice that the vets were so happy and excited and supportive of us first-timers.  I had a perma grin running my last lap.  I was thinking about the 88 year old lady who said in your blog that she would be praying for me. That was so encouraging."

You can see that grin that DM mentioned in the picture above. She is an absolutely beautiful woman inside and out.  Can you tell I am a very proud Auntie? I suspect this is not DM's last triathlon and I suspect her sister Natalie will join her next time.

Love
Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment