Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lunch with my friend Bill Valcour



I have written about Bill in my books. My Bell friends (many of you) know Bill well from working with him throughout his career. Now that we are both rewired Bill and I work hard to keep in touch. By that I mean we do not let life get in the way of sitting down for lunch or dinner at least once a year. We try for January. It is always easy to say, "I have been meaning to get in touch," but how many times do you find that you just don't make it happen? I am the one who had to postpone our January date - little Lexi's birth took over my life for a bit.


So today we met at Bistro 990 to celebrate too many things to recap here. We talked about anything, everything, and everyone from our Bell careers - such a great way to spend a few hours on a rainy day.


What is the above photo you ask? Bill was always in control of his budget - and I do mean always in control. There were times when Bill was overspent - and he paid his debts each and every time. During one particular meeting Bill was confused. He owed me (a figure of speech since I held the budget purse strings) 595K and he had managed to repay 14K and yet during the budget presentation the numbers showed that he still owed me 594K. He looked me with such a confused look and I could feel him saying, "Do the math boss, 595 - 14 does not equal 594! "It's all in the rounding of the numbers Bill," I explained but clearly he was not buying any of it.


To recapture the moment, at Christmas that year I gave each of my guys on my Ontario South Installation & Repair Tier B team a Birk's ruler and as they turned their ruler over they read, "595 - 14 - 594 NEW MATH ONTARIO SOUTH." I am not sure how funny Bill found it on that particular day but it has made for a great memory for me - and hopefully for 'my guys' too.


Today Bill owns and operates a Web Site Design company. www.linval.ca gets you to him so check it out and if you are looking to have a web site developed, refurbished or updated give Bill a call.


And, Bill - thanks for lunch!


CA

No comments:

Post a Comment