Friday, July 22, 2011

I seldom speak of political issues but....

I have often thought that a politician will tell you what you need to hear in order to vote for them - once they are elected all bets are off.  In October of 2010 our mayoral candidate Rob Ford promised us that services would not be cut. In fact, he said he "guaranteed" it.

Now he is proposing cuts to :
Police Services
Libraries
Riverdale Farm (to close)
Bus routes
Snow Clearing
and on and on and on.

I have worked with several homeless people in our great city and, in particular, cutting bus routes will be very hard on these individuals.  On the rare days when they can afford to ride a bus it is often on a less travelled route and off-normal times.  Someone needs to care about these people.

I suspect Ford will indeed have to break some promises he made to us - hopefully not all of them.  Perhaps I don't quite grasp his definition of gravy.

CA

No comments:

Post a Comment