Thursday, December 2, 2010

Remembering where we come from




One of the first Christmas cards I receive each year is from my friend Beryl Holman (Sorry Stu, I know her last name is Keddy and has been for a very long time - but she will always be Beryl Holman from Wilmot Nova Scotia to me.) A number of years ago I stopped sending out Christmas cards and a few years later my annual card from Beryl did not arrive. When I jokingly asked, "Hey where is my Christmas card from you? I always receive a card from you" she was very quick to reply, "I don't give to get - but I don't give if I don't get." I love that line! Have used it a few times myself. Beryl has a wonderful sense of humour.

Beryl and I attended the Wilmot two-room school house from the day we started school until our Grade 6 graduation after which we took the bus to Middleton to the High School. Everyone can lose touch when life and distance get in the way and while that did happen to us, we managed to find ways to connect over the years. When I moved home in 1996 we carved out time to have lunch on a regular basis. We were always able to pick up exactly where we left off. I moved back to Toronto in 2007 - and now we find ways to visit whenever I am able to go home to Halifax. We also make sure to find each other at our MRHS Reunions and probably enjoy the Reunion as much as, or more than, most. This picture was taken of my sister Lois (in the pink top) and Beryl and I at our High School Reunion this past summer. Oh, how we laughed!

Beryl has taught me many things - including the gift we receive when we go out of our way to stay in touch - thank you for that gift Beryl. Oh, and my Christmas card to you surely crossed paths in the mail with your card to me - honestly!

Love

Carol Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment