Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Before e-mail we called it "IIS" (at Bell that is)
















Last week I attended Pete Renshaw's second retirement party - yes his second retirement party. So popular is Pete that a "Part Deux" as Nick called it was arranged for those of us who were unable to attend his official retirement from Bell Canada several months ago.
Having retired myself way back in 1994 it is always very humbling to be remembered when someone from my former team retires and a party is being planned. Walking in and seeing all the guys took me back to my VP days at Bell when I first worked with a team we called Ontario South soon to be combined with Metro. For you non-Bell readers that means the 905 and 416 area codes....circa 1989-1993 for me. We always think in terms of area codes!
The pictures above - and thanks to Linda for taking them and sharing with me. Top left picture - Scott who is Pete's son /Tony in the picture on top right. Next is Pete and Nick/and Lou and Brian. Finally, in the bottom picture - Bill, Mike, Cliff and Pete.
I was totally surprised to see Tony. I knew he had been critically ill not all that long ago - literally he could have died - and here he was with his peers as if nothing had happened. I was impressed with young Scott and suspect he has a promising career ahead of him (and a new condo to!) I could say nice things about everyone pictured here and everyone we didn't get a picture of (like Gary who gave me my first tour of a manhole and introduced me to life underground. He actually remembers what I was wearing that day and I am sure it was sometime in 1989!) I really like Pete's wife Brenda - she joined us and we found a quiet moment to talk about our kids and how proud we are of all they have and will accomplish. It's always about more than Bell.
When I moved to the Installation and Repair department in 1981 and first met some of these men I was nervous, anxious and so eager to learn and do a good job. Thanks to the team around me I was able to shine - and when I returned some years later as their Vice President they were quick to say, "We are not surprised -we taught her everything she knows!" And, they were absolutely right. They deserve all the credit...well not all the credit but you know what I mean.
We talked about old times, we talked about Ma Bell today and how she has changed, we shared a beer (or two) and we parted promising to keep in touch. We will.
Love
Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment