Sunday, January 9, 2011

When mink coats become mink bears....



For a reason that I do not recall, during my last day on the job with Bell Canada I went shopping in the downtown Montreal meca and purchased a green mink coat. I was not comfortable wearing it from day one and for years it sat in my closet begging for a good home.
A number of years later at a reunion of sorts in Kitchener at my friend Shirley's home I spoke with Mary about the terrible loss of her son and how making bears offered a form of therapy for her. We talked about the possibility of Mary turning my mink coat into bears - and the rest, as they say, is history. I mailed the coat off to her and it came back to me in the form of seven perfectly created mink bears!
The pictures above are of the bear I kept for myself. Green (that's his name) sits atop my antique suitcase that proudly bears a Halifax sticker. I like to think I am somehow connected to the suitcase, and to the bear, in ways I don't even understand - yet.
If you have a coat that you would like to turn into memories you might share with others I highly recommend the bear route... create your own "This little bear went to ....." story!
Love
Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment