Thursday, November 5, 2009

What people are saying about If I Knew Then What I Know Now

Ken & I (and our dog, Gooch) took the opportunity to have a few days away at my brother's chalet near Talisman. I had brought your book with us, and just started reading it, out loud to Ken. We continued off and on throughout the weekend, taking turns reading to each other, and we thoroughly enjoyed If I Knew Then What I Know Now - we laughed, we cried, we enjoyed it together. We especially enjoyed the mention of the peanut butter and banana rolls at the Good Neighbours Christmas Lunch - and Ken's competitive nature wants me to issue a bake-off challenge to your friend who bakes the butter tarts.
Thank you for sharing so nicely of yourself. We are proud to know you...B & K


C.A. I got home and proceeded downstairs to read your book. after a few agonizing chapters and a stream of tears and a bevy of emotions I went upstairs to find Karen reading her copy also and she seemed to be equally moved obviously from a women's viewpoint....my dear, I spent the better part of the day just reading and although I am almost done I can say I have thoroughly enjoyed the 'read' and look forward to finishing the book today. I believe its possibly your best effort to date (practice makes perfect)-keep up the great work and continue to fight the 'good' fight and be all that your soul challenges you to be- the ever gracious & loving heroine that we all know you to be....there were some things I had either forgotten or newly learned and will share with you over dinner once I clear my plate of my present karma..God bless and much love, courage & strength to always be the best you can be...B

I just wanted to tell you that I just finished reading your book, and enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you, for once again sharing some of your deepest thoughts. You are truly one inspirational lady. Of course, I can't sign off without thanking you for making me cry. I was touched and honoured to see dad in the book and read the nice comments from Mary. It's so hard to believe it’s been two years since we lost him. So thank you for keeping his memory alive in your book and for all of the insights you shared. As always, you have validated what a remarkable woman you are and why, when I was teaching Grade 8 students the Economics of Staying in School, and we got to the chapter about choosing role models, I was quick to share that you had been one of mine...DF

Hi my friend, hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
This is the best book you have done so far. I am reading it on the bus (not a good place to read - people see tears and want to know if I am ok.) I really didn't know how much you had to go through. I am so sorry for all that pain. I am so proud of you and I am very very lucky to have you as a friend. I will always be your “down home” friend. You have raised a son who is just as special as you are - that is your best work - but this book isn't far behind...PP

Carol Ann from the first book I always said to myself that I would never forget the strength that you had and that you would be my role model if / when I go through it. Now more than ever you are my role model. You are an amazing woman! When you wrote and asked about my piece in your book I was so honoured, and as I read about all the boards, committees, and people who had / have been involved in your life I am honoured even more that something I wrote stuck with you. Reading is not a favourite past time of mine however today it was all I did. From one cover to the other, your story is amazing! Your love, strength, courage, accomplishments, and determination are to be admired. And I truly admire each and every quality in you. Thanks for sharing your life with me and all the others out there who will be reading this amazing story. If wealth was measured by the amount of lives one touched in a positive way you would be rich beyond...TM

I would like to thank you again for the kind and generous donation of your new book. Although our lending library has over 300 books and audio cassettes, we are constantly striving to add new material that is up-to-date and relevant to women newly diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a privilege to hear your inspirational talk yesterday at the Life after Breast Cancer Conference. I found it to be heart-warming, funny and poignant.
Your ten-step plan is also wonderful, and should be the goal of every woman, not just those who have made a journey with breast cancer. I plan on having it framed and posting it in our centre. I will add your information as the credit for this wonderful piece.
At Breast Cancer Support Services, we strive to Encourage, Enlighten and Empower every woman who has been diagnosed with breast cancer, and provide support and hope to them and their families. Your book will help us to give these women perspective and encouragement, and will be an excellent addition to our lending library. It is only through your contribution, and the contributions of those in our community, that we are able to provide our services and support.
Thank you for thinking of us, and helping us to improve our services. I hope to be able to have another opportunity in the near future of hearing you speak.
Cathie Mills, Volunteer & Program Coordinator, Breast Cancer Support Service, Burlington Ontario

Just a quick word to let you know that between 8 pm last night and 11 am today, Chapters sold every one of your books they had except one! I am frantically reading, jumping around rather than from start to finish as I wanted to read about your own experiences in 2008 and before first. You write as you speak, so easily. The part where James was with you during one procedure where you could not see the screen really touched me. I could sense his mental anguish at not being able to take away your pain. What a wonderful, supportive son you have....Miss W

Hi there Carol Ann I have been so busy today and haven't had the time to e-mail you to congratulate you on what a great interview you did with Geoff, I enjoyed it so much,
I don't imagine they took anything out of the interview as it went from right after the 11 PM news and sports to just about the midnight news. You and Geoff covered everything including the people from different sports supporting the Mom's and wives. I enjoyed you talking about Willow Breast Cancer Group as I was just reading about them. My Paul is reading your book now and he's talking about it to anyone who'll listen, he is enjoying it so much. By the way he read your other two books and not because I told him to, he really is interested in anything to do with the disease. Thanks so much for mentioning my name on the show. I got shivers when I heard my name. I was so thrilled...JBA


Seeing Jalen – wow has he even grown since I saw him at your party on Lower Water street a few years ago. I loved the part where you were crossing the street and he told people to stop and wait for the little man and that his name was not Buddy! Priceless. Now that I am finished my first read of your book, Carl gets his turn...P & C


Your new book has been officially moved to the Health merchandise category for all of our Chapters/Indigo/Coles/Indigospirit stores. The subsection is Breast Health. I am very glad we got this done! You can get the word out…BB


We just got back home last night after closing the cottage up for the winter. While there I was quite enjoying reading your latest book, sitting by the fire in the evenings, when all of a sudden I came to the end of the damn thing. To me, this was a very different book from the other two, quite technical and not as much of a "down east" theme. Must say, I missed that. I have enjoyed your personal and family stories both the happy and sad and, of course, your "Bell" stories. Thanks for listening and thanks for the hours of entertaining reading. I don't read very much but certainly enjoy your books ....RB

No comments:

Post a Comment