Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday

I almost attended a Super Bowl party today.

Years ago, very early in my exec days with Ma Bell I had a hard time being quiet when an invitation to a major sporting event meant I was expected to sit "with the wives who didn't enjoy sports" while the guys enjoyed the game. Even when, as a VP with Bell, I hosted guests in the Bell box at a Jay's game I was not easily recognized as "in charge." One evening we invited Don Cherry and Bobby Orr and almost immediately upon arrival Cherry asked, "Who are you with darlin?" and then he proceeded to ask me for a refill each time his beer bottle was empty. We laughed in the end and Orr and I talked at length about women in business in the 80s. Eventually it was recognized that I really do enjoy sports and when you invite me to a game, understand I am there to watch the game! (This is beginning to sound like a rant but hear me out...)

I have seen this change somewhat over the years. Women are known to enjoy sporting events for...the sporting event...not for the men at the bar! At least some of the time.

So, back to today, friends of mine invited me to one of my former 'hoods to watch the Super Bowl and visit with friends. A few days ago Buddy called to ensure I would be there. He said, and I quote, " The wife (I hate that expression) really hopes you come because she wants to talk to you about cancer while the guys are watching the game." I told my good friend that my decision would be posted on my blog this morning.

Make that a Super Bowl party for one in my case....

CA
PS It's all in fun Buddy - but can you see the lesson I am hoping you will learn here??? Please tell you wife to call me AFTER the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment