Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Rewired not Retired!


This grainy photo (circa 1963) is of me walking to my neighbours because my classmate, George White, was going to drive me to school in his very own car - lovely isn't it?
Following school we work and following work comes retirement or is it rewirement given that we may go from one job to another - whatever that other job might be?
When I retired from Bell Canada in 1994 I wanted to find a word to replace the word retirement. The word itself needs to be retired. I recently heard this time of my life described "rewirement" and I love the expression. We actually do rewire our brain, our thinking and our lives when we leave one job and move to the next. Gone are the days when we leave a job to stay at home full-time and simply say "I have retired." We work, we travel, we volunteer, we spend more time with family (and our new grandchildren!) and we do literally whatever we want within our means.
I am on a mission to capture lessons from rewired friends out there who feel they have a story to share that can help others as they reach this stage of life. It can be inspirational, educational, informative or even funny - it can be anything you might like to share. For example, I am beginning to receive documents from the Government as I reach "that age" outling what I will be eligible to receive compliments of the Government. Lots to learn and I am sure many of you have learned these lessons already so let's document some detail for those close behind us in age.
It might be fun.
Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment