Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Growing Up in Wilmot

"Believe in yourself" and/or "Be yourself" could have been the motto for all students who attended Wilmot Public School back in my day. As many of you know from my postings here I am heading home this summer as usual and this year I will attend the Wilmot school reunion - can't wait!  Often we had to believe in ourselves because we walked to and from school on our own each day.  On a snow we played outside - with friends or on our own.  Inside we often played on our own - play dates as we know them today just didn't happen then.  And it was all good wasn't it?  (The house above is our home in Wilmot not the school by the way.  I snuck it in there. My friend Phyllis White painted it for me some years ago.)

For many years I wanted to own what had been our home and what had in my opinion been taken away from Mom and her girls by means that I personally questioned.  When it was for sale at one point I walked through it and funny enough, it didn't feel like our home any longer. I was awfully glad to have had the opportunity to go inside though.

So, back to the reunion.  The family living literally right beside the Wilmot school was the Banks family. Sheila and I were great friends as were Carolyn and my sister Lois.  We will reconnect with Carolyn this summer. I know that for sure because we have been in touch. I so hope to see all of the Banks clan as well as many other grads from our one/then two room schoolhouse.

Love

Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment