Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Getting published

Finding a publisher when you finish what you think is that perfect manuscript is a daunting task.  I have experienced it first hand and, trust me, it is not pretty.  Opening your mail day after day with yet another rejection letter awaiting you is like intentionally hitting yourself in the head.

I saw this joke in the paper when I took a break from writing the other day. I had just hit the 100 page mark working on my 4th manuscript (first novel.)

For many authors, and certainly true in my case, the marketing side of having your book published is the really tough part. With my first book, Comfort Heart a Personal Memoir, my publisher ECW Press (Jack David) sent me from coast coast on a book tour.  What an experience it was.   Seeing people lined up in bookstores to buy my book was incredible but I can tell you that seeing no one lined up is what stays with you for awhile. Talk about humbling.

Pottersfield Press (Lesley Choice) published my second and third books (Lessons Learned upside the head and If I Knew Then What I Know Now.) With no marketing budget there was little publicity. I did have a number of book signings in Nova Scotia bookstores and again there were days when there were line ups and there were signings when no one came - no one.  There's that humbling feeling again.

So, when I saw this joke in the paper I reminded myself of all of the above.  Perhaps I won't even look for a publisher when my novel is complete - maybe this one is for my eyes only.  Or maybe I will investigate the world of self publishing and play that game this time.

I wonder how many authors share my feelings?  I would love to hear from you.

Love

Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment