Thursday, March 24, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor and Cleopatra

Do you remember the first movie you saw with one of your children? Do you remember the first movie you went to with a baby in your arms so that you wouldn't feel alone because you had never attended a movie on your own?

Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra came out in 1963 - I was in grade 11 at Middleton Regional High School. Fast forward a number of years. I didn't see the movie until 1970 when, for a reason I do not remember, it came to the small theatre in North Bay, Ontario.

My son was a year old, I needed to get out of the house and I was eager to see if I could pinpoint scenes in Cleopatra where the passion between Dame Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton was real and not an act. James was not all that interested in the movie - he slept the entire time, as if knowing I needed this time to be both mine and ours.

Dame Taylor's passing yesterday reminded me of this special time with my son. I believe it was that very day that I began contemplating our journey together - just the two of us.

Have a gentle Thursday.

Love
Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment