Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kenneth D Grant

Ken Grant is a friend of mine - we met when I was transferred to Montreal in the spring of 1982 - more on that in a second but first...

In my opinion Ken is a true example of a self-made-successful-man.  He left Bell with over 19 years of experience and expertise around 1997.  While working at Bell, Ken continued his education at both college and University level. (Vanier College and Universite du Quebec a Montreal.)  He went on to work for two years with Newbridge Networks and two more years with Nortel Networks before moving on to other ventures.  You can learn more about his current venture on his Linkedin page.

Now, back to how we met.  I was in my office waiting to hear from the Bell technician who was to call me when he was ready to meet me at my Durocher Street condo.  Phone rang - "Carol Ann Cole speaking."  "Yes, may I speak with Mr Cole please - I am suppose to meet him at his condo."  Without explaining further I asked the tech to wait at the condo and I left the office.  As I walked down my street I saw this hulk (and I do mean hulk) of a man standing beside one of our green vehicles draining a 2 quart carton of milk.   I am sure Ken would tell this story differently but as I approached him he realized his mistake in assuming he was waiting for Mr Cole - and a friendship began.  We were both smiling even before we shook hands. Ken installed my phones and we chatted about his obvious body building work. I was weight training at the time and looking for a new gym in Montreal so Bell was not our only connection.  My condo was empty at the time so I stood and observed as he worked.

Fast forward a few days and I was at home with the moving company who were not too happy about bring my furniture up three stories to my condo.  They were concerned that a large six plus foot dresser would not make it up the stairs and around the many corners to the master bedroom.  Suddenly one of the workmen rushed upstairs to say, "Your dresser is strapped to the back of some kid who says he is a friend of yours."  As Ken passed me en route up to the top floor he stopped long enough to say, "Don't worry Miss Cole I am on my lunch hour."  It was too funny believe me.

Ken and I kept in touch for a few years but like so many friendships we lost touch.  Out of the blue yesterday my phone rang and Ken was back in my world.  

It is never too late to seek out someone you have lost touch with - out of sight is not really out of mind at all.

Have a gentle Thursday.

Love

Carol Ann 

No comments:

Post a Comment