Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Secret we call Mavillette Beach

Hi there - I am just back from my Nova Scotia vacation - and in particular a trip down memory lane at my high school reunion (MRHS is 60 years old!) I absolutely love reconnecting with those I graduated with in 1964 - such a long time ago and so many memories.

This vacation was different. Lois and I didn't spend as much time in Halifax as we normally do. We actually spent four days in Middleton and that might be the longest I have stayed there in years. We loved every second of it. I hope to stay in touch with everyone I saw - famous last words I know but it's worth a try.

We went to our beloved Mavillette beach - in Digby County. Sunshine every day (for four days!) and not a hint of fog. A post card says, "While touring the scenic, sometimes rocky coast of St. Mary's Bay, Mavillette is an unexpected treat with 1.5 kms of sandy beach." I will say that it is the most beautiful place on earth in my opinion. My mom loved it and so do I. You can get lost walking on the beach and spend hours relaxing and forgetting everything but the sand at your feet. We always stay at the Cape View Motel and Cottages and this year I met Carol and Russell who are new owners since I was there two years ago. Great people and so keen to help their guests in any way. Please visit their website http://www.capeviewmotelandcottages.com/ and consider vacationing there when you need a break.

While I was in that part of my home province I met a woman who first contacted me on October 27, 2007. Tanya lives in Port Maitland - just seconds from Mavillette. I wrote Tanya's story in my latest book, If I Knew Then What I Know Now (page 160) and we decided it was time we met in person. We had a wonderful visit and I know we will stay in touch always. I met her handsome son too!

I drove home this year - 700 kms the first day and 1100 kms the second day - coming and going and it wasn't bad at all. I found my way through Montreal without getting lost (okay, I have a GPS) and I will definitely do it again.

There were many friends I didn't get to see in Halifax but that will happen the next time. I need to go home for even long next year.

Now it's back to a bit of work - some speaking engagements and working on my latest journals.

Hope you are enjoying the summer.

Love
CA

No comments:

Post a Comment